- The Cove
- Our Community
- Local Info
Historical photo #4
InformationbobreidSunday, 17 May 2020 - 10:35pm
This is an interesting photo.
It shows five men standing on the boundaries of lot 871 in Port Stephens City.
The two men in the foreground are standing next to white pegs - these look like boundary pegs, and the two men in the background holding flags were probably also standing next to boundary pegs.
Port Stephens City was designed by Walter Burley Griffin for Henry F Halloran - who was a land developer and was actively marketing blocks of land for sale from about 1918 after the subdivision was approved by Stroud Shire Council.
In 1920 Halloran told councillors:
"He gave it as his experienced opinion that given reasonable access, it would not be long before some thousands of lots would be sold at Port Stephens, which would quickly create a large body of the best and most influential class of persons as advocates for the progress and development of the port, each with a direct and personal knowledge of its advantages and interest in its progress. A big development at Port Stephens was certain."